|'Benbo' ball and socket tripod head by Kennett Engineering Co. Ltd. Still available from Paterson Photographic.|
So, I was casting around the web, looking for a confidence-boosting "how-to fix". There wasn't one, so I made one myself. Well, you never know...
The fix is pretty obvious and simple:
- Remove any crud, congealed grease and errant glue from both the ball and the top (arrowed above) surface of the plastic bearing.
- Slacken the lock screw and the friction grubscrew so there's plenty of free movement
- Feed the plastic ring around so the top surface is visible and apply a drop of SuperGlue. Quickly, feed it round some more and apply another drop, and so on.
- Align the ends of the bearing with the mouth of the body - quick!
- Tighten the lock screw to apply pressure to the glued joint.
- Re-adjust the friction grubscrew.